Mmmm a new day! Today will be different! Today I will start a new life! Enthusiastically I get myself on the training schedule, life goal plan, working path, reading program, however, after few weeks I get seduced by distractions annndd it’s over… Somehow I manage to kill my plan for the perfect life again and again… Does it sound familiar to you?
I intensely marveled about this puzzle. Why is it so hard to continue eat healthy, train daily, keep meditating, be nice to people, have a positive outlook and so on?
People usually say, the reason why we quit is that we get lazy or unmotivated. However, I came to think that we give up on our dreams because of boredom! Yes, boredom! It is boring to be disciplined! It is not really interesting or exciting to work hard for years grinding every day towards the goal.
Looking back when I was an athlete, I remember how boring it was for me to do the same movement over and over and over and over and over and over again! By the way, this was the main reason why I did not manage to go to my second Olympics! I only did what I liked and I got myself in even better physical shape, then I was in Beijing Olympics, but I skipped on the technical work because it was super boring… Somehow, I thought, I will manage to throw far without those dull exercises. The result was sad. Very sad.
The similar pattern I see with my clients and now when I am working on building a startup. As the work gets tedious, tiring and boring it is so easy to quit. Unfortunately, all the biggest and the best rewards are in the end of that tedious, tiring and boring road. We have to keep going!
The minute we start to get bored is the fatal one! Because from this moment we are tested what we are made of. It will determine if we will get to another level or…
And this is what helps me keep myself on track:
- Knowing the process. We will be bored on the way to our dream! It is natural and normal.
- Boredom is also a sign that our body is tired or we are mentally stuck. So, we need to take a little break to rest, change environment.
- The break is the perfect time to reflect what is the purpose of our journey we chose, remember what is on the end of the road, re-energize.
- Measuring the progress, knowing where we are. This is why it is very important to have a clear plan.
- Giving ourselves rewards for achieving the milestone. For me, it was getting a snickers candy bar for coming to practice…
- Having another person who is keeping us on our toes and on track! Before it was my coach and now, it is my onbotraining.com team, especially Alex Monaco, he loves pushing me to the limits! Just make sure that someone would be no BS person ;)
Let me know, what your thoughts are, maybe you can add to the list what helps you keep grinding towards the goal?!
Yes, life is cruel. We always want excitement, feel good, joy and achieve happiness and success, however, the road to happiness and success is just opposite of excitement and joy. It is hard, tedious and boring. But it is up to you to choose if you want an easy life now or amazing success later!?
Stay strong and if you need some kicking, call me! 🙂